build your own shutters

Old 05-10-05, 06:38 PM
dfd
Visiting Guest
Question build your own shutters

My entire neighborhood has raised panel vinyl shutters on each home. I want to hang solid wood shutters, but they are extremely expensive. I am pretty handy, but not sure how to build my own louvered or raised panel, plain panel etc. I just need a little guidance in the type of wood and specs on any type of wood shutters.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-05, 06:27 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hi
i made mine out of pine and seal them with a good stain.
or you could buy some lover closet doors and cut them to size
less work
but if you have the tools and time there are nice when you make them

Old 05-18-05, 08:07 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Making your own luvor doors is not only time consuming, but a pain in the you know what.

You'll need to make a jig that will route the pieces at the proper angle using a straight bit without a bearing. Probably a 1/4". You will need to round over all 4 edges with the same radius bit you used to route the grooves in the sides.

You can go to depot and measure how thick the door frame is and how thick the luvors are. Also check the spacing too.

One of the tricky parts is going to be gluing and assembling them . You'll have to put all of them in the one side with glue, then slowly work your way down with the other side by inserting each one as you go along without the previous ones popping out.

Old 09-06-07, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you made any attempts yet?

Just curious. I'm getting prepared to do the same thing myself with wood shutters and I may do inside and outside.

Old 09-07-07, 03:52 AM
J
Once you do your own louvered shutters, you will understand why they are so expensive. Extremely labor and machine intensive.

Old 09-07-07, 03:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Before y'all get started with this magnanimous venture, price premade wooden shutters. Yes, they are pricey, but unless you have alot of time, the proper tooling, jigs and the patience of Job, it isn't worth it. Not wanting to stop any DIY project, mind you. I just want you to not be overloaded and stop DIY projects in the future. Making shutters is one of the most straining things you can do. Good luck with the project.

Old 09-25-09, 09:53 PM
K
I want to build my own shutters

I don't want the louvers though, I want to put material in the center. What is a good wood? Where would i get the frame just for the box shape?? For eg: what's the best connection to make?
Should they be mitered how should I connect the corners for the nicest look?

Old 09-26-09, 05:56 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Depending on your skill level and equipment set up making sturdy shutters is formidable. You will need a table saw, tenoning jig, router, brad nailer, panel cutter, and more. The ends of the frame will need to be tenoned for strength, glued and brad nailed. The panel you put in will need to be inserted into a groove cut into the inside of the frame (not to the end, of course). It must float so it won't be affected by weather. The edge of the panel should be cut with the panel bit to reduce it from 3/4" to 1/4" so it will fit into the groove. A good wood to use would be poplar, if you are going to paint them. It accepts paint well without grain raising.
SO, with all that said, look at premade units to compare the cost of the job. If you have a lot to do, it may pay to invest in a few tools and accessories, but if only a few, maybe not. Let us know if we can help.

Old 10-15-09, 05:30 AM
M
What you're doing really is simply building small doors. You will have to invest in a table saw and a router but then again how can you live without either of these? I would use pine for the rails and styles and 1/4" MDF for the solid inserts. I usually buy the cheapest grade pine and cut the clear wood out of it. The rails and styles (top and sides) are made with a rail and style router bit set. Once they are cut they simply fit into each other and are glued. Take a look at your kitchen cabinet doors and you'll see what I mean. Your choice of bits will be either a matched set which means two bits or a single bit that you take apart and assemble to make either the rail or style. Do a web search and you'll see hundreds of these. Good luck with the project.

Old 11-11-09, 06:08 PM
H
sounds like you want raised panel doors for your shutters.

I wouldn't use anything except an outdoor wood. Something like cedar, white oak, teak. something along those lines. Pine wont last, even if stained and painted. No sense going through all that work every couple of years.

Louvered doors, shutters can be simple enough with a simple table saw and dado blade.