wood fillers

Old 02-12-00, 09:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

So here I am trying to put the finishing touches to my lovely new oak and birch kitchen thanks to tips and assistance from readers of these pages, BUT . .
I'm having so much trouble finishing small nail holes and other minor matters. I've tried wood fillers from the stores of varying colors, light oak (too white), red oak (too red), etc. Wax based; petroleum based . . The best results so far have been with some wood glue and sawdust particles but it still doesn't look right! Mostly the finish is passable but one of the kitchen units looks awful because of the filler colors showing through. Help me please, it's driving me mad. (I'm applying clear satin finishes to all wood)

------------------
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-00, 11:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Steve,
If the imperfections you are dealing with are in fact "minor", it is normally quite simple to hide them. The reason the sawdust & glue doesn't look quite right is that the wood glue doesn't accept stain. Often when filling nail holes on trim work, the colors of the individual pieces of wood vary enough to prevent any one color of filler from matching for all the nail holes. I will use the wood putties that come in little plastic jars and are available in a spectrum of colors. Since they are inexpensive, I will get a range of 2 to 4 colors that are closest to the color of the wood I'm trying to match and then blend dabs of the different colors to hit what I'm trying to match. Once you achieve a match for for some of the holes, it is simple to adjust the color to match with a little more mixing of the other colors. Usually I will end up with 2 or 3 different blobs of putty the cover the range of colors I have to match. It sounds like you might be past this stage, but I will usually putty holes after the stain and the first coat of finish are applied and before the final coat of finish.
Did I answer your question? I hope so! It is maddening to get so close to finishing a project just to have ONE LITTLE THING stop you short of the finish line!

Old 02-13-00, 10:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks; you did answer my problem . . and so simply. It just didn't occur to me to mix 'n match. The finish is just clear satin and so anything bad shows up (probably more to my eyes that to anyone elses). Amazing how long some "simple" things take! Thanks, again. By the way, what brand of fillers do you use?

------------------
Steve

Old 02-15-00, 01:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Steve,
The stuff I use (mainly because it is what is availably locally in SD) is Color Putty by, get this Color Putty Company! out of Monroe, Wisconsin. Hope you can find it or something similar for your project.