Table routers

Old 04-06-00, 02:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Is it better to buy a router already installed into a table or is it cheaper to make the table and install a router in it??

I saw part of something on a tv show about how to build a table for a router with that guy from "This Old House", but I only caught the last minute of it. If anyone knows where I can dig up some plans on this I'd appreciate it.

------------------
All DIY projects should come with a bottle of Advil ;-)

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-00, 11:18 AM
Visiting Guest
It less expensive to make your own table, but it is more work. The side benefit of making your own is you can incorporate the features you wnat, instead of those a designer thought you should have. The Web address of the PBS television programs and radio stations is http://www.wgbh.org/wgbh/index.html
Maybe you can find what you want there.

Old 04-06-00, 05:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

James,
Following up on 2000's input, a router table can be anything from a piece of plywood with a hole in the middle and a router screwed to the bottom to the Incra brand $450 model with a sliding router carriage. What I find the most effective for my work is to have the router mounted under the extension table on my tablesaw. That way I can utilize the tablesaw ripfence for routing applications. The type of projects you will use the router & table on and your budget should be primary deciding factors in your decision on which way to go. Personally, I like to have the router easily removeable from the table for "freehand" routering operations.

------------------
Be the job great or small, do it well or not at all!

Check out Timber Tailor tool reviews at:
www.thetimbertailor.cjb.net