Help! Cutting angles for chair rail moulding

Old 05-12-00, 07:34 AM
Visiting Guest
I'm in the process of wallpapering and adding moulding to the walls. I don't know what to do about the corners of the walls. What angle do I cut to get a smooth, connected look?

Thanks!!

Old 05-12-00, 03:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Connie,
Take a look at http://doityourself.com/wallpaper/corners.htm
and see if it helps.

Old 05-13-00, 10:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Connie,
The proper miter angle to cut for a moulding where it wraps around or through a square (90 degeree) corner is 45 degrees. This cut can be made with a miter saw. Look at the cuts on other trim in your house and you will see how the trim fits where it is cut at the corners. Practice on scrap pieces until you are comfortable using the saw and are satisfied with the look of the pieces you have fit together. Let me know if this makes sense and works for you when you put up your trim. I could give a much more complex explanation of some tricks for this process, but this should get you started.

Old 11-29-04, 01:01 PM
pulehoopo
Visiting Guest
I could give a much more complex explanation of some tricks for this process
Angle is 133 degrees. The square end is 90 degrees. We cut the second piece to 43 degrees. We back cut the second piece. The bottom matches perfectly but the top doesn't. Any idea how we can fix this?

Old 11-29-04, 04:40 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
If I'm figuring this correctly, 133-90=43 degs Divided by 2= 21.5 for each side.

If the bottom fits and the top doesn't slide a shim behind the top side and bring it together. Caulk the top edge and you'll never see it. If it's painted crown, you can caulk any imperfections in the actual miter too.

Old 11-30-04, 08:49 AM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
I assume you're referring to ordinary flat backed rail molding. If so, you should cope the inside corners. If you're not familiar with coping, there are many web sites which describe the procedure in pictures and text.

Outside corners (if any) are fitted by beveling the rail ends where they meet. You would think that the bevel should be 45 - which it usually is. But not always because some walls are simply out of square. On inside corners, it won't matter because you're coping the rails. However, it does matter on outside corners.

What I usually do first is determine the outside corner angle. It should be 90. But let's say it isn't. I get a t-bevel and copy the angle. Then transfer that angle to a piece of paper. At this point, I bisect it using an ordinary compass. Now you have two equal angles that total the outside angle. Set your miter saw to this angle and cut both ends to match. This should form your perfect outside angle. Sometimes the angle has to be "tweaked" just a bit, but not always. The point is that to make clean outside angles, both rail ends must be cut at the same angles. If not, they simply won't match up at the outside corners. And to repeat; inside corners should be coped.

Aarno

Last edited by Aarno; 11-30-04 at 09:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: