Birch plywood help

Old 05-16-05, 07:12 AM
D
Dig
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Birch plywood help

I am building a stereo speaker cabinet and have some questions about birch plywood.

1.) Is marine plywood much heavier than non marine plywood for a given size (3/4", 1/2",etc)?

2.) Is marine plywood much stronger than non marine? So could 1/2" marine have the same strength as 3/4" non marine?

3.) Most of the people I have spoken to use birch for the speaker cabinets. Many of them say to use 13 ply baltic birch. All I can find localy is 7 ply birch.
A.) Do I really need 13 ply or is 7 strong enough?
b.) If I use the marine will that not add strength so I can use 7 ply?
c.) What is the difference between baltic and other birch?

4.) Can you think of a reason other than looks people use the Birch?

I am hoping someone here can help with some of the answers as most people at the stores have no clue about the woods that are there.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 06:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
I'm not a plywood expert, but I always thought that the only thing different about marine plywood was that the glue that held it together was not affected by moisture (the wood may rot, but the glue will hold). I also tend to think of birch plywood as having a higher strength to weight ratio versus common construction plywood. More plys are stronger and less apt to warp.

PS: If you ever complain about the price of plywood for use around the house... 1/2" thick domestic birch aircraft plywood is currently about $285 for a 4' x 8' sheet.

Old 05-18-05, 02:33 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Using any kind of plywood is not the proper material for speaker boxes. You want to use MDF or Particle Board. Those two materials have deflection and will bounce the sound properly.