Folding Table hinged to a wall...?

Old 06-07-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
I would like to have a table in my laundry room but there really isn't room for one. However, I do have an idea that may work, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about doing it. i was thinking of a table that is somehow hinged to the wall. When in use, it would fold out into a table and when no longer needed for the day, it would fold down and lay against the wall. Does anyone know of a simple way to do this project? Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-00, 08:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Here's how I accomplished the same thing:

Attach a ledger board to the wall (thru the studs of course)that is 37" long 37 1/2" from the floor (measured from the centerline of the ledger board).

For the "table top", cut a piece of 3/4" plywood 36" square. Attach two (one in each corner of one edge) 5" square pieces of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the "table top". To these, attach 3/4" floor pipe flanges (again, one each).

Attach the "table top" to the ledger board with a 36" long piano hinge, making sure you have the swing of the hinge so that the hing opens downward (so you can "lower" the table top out the way when not in use.

With the table top lifted, insert two 36" long 3/4" steel pipe threaded on one end into the pipe flange mounted to the underneath of the table top. Place 1" rubber feet onto the other end of the 3/4" steel pipe so you don't scratch your floor.

When you want to lower the table top out of the way, simply unscrew and set aside the threaded pipe "legs".

This was a nifty "do it yourself" project that has worked for me, although some people think screwing and unscrewing the legs each time you want to use the table is an inconvenience.

You can alter the dimensions to suit your own needs if 36" wide is too much... just be sure you can find a piano hinge the same length you want the table top - usually 18", 24", 36", or 48" is what I found available at home centers. (Not to drop a name, but I found everything, like the pipe and floor flanges, at Home Depot)

GOOD LUCK

Old 06-08-00, 11:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the instructions! I'll let you know how it turns out.