Breakfast bar construction

Old 06-26-00, 04:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am trying to build a breakfast bar behind my cabinets. I need advice for the framing that will support the countertop, which will probably be granite. My kitchen would roughly take the shape of a square C, where the bottom of the c is the wall in question. The top and side of the c are framed "real" walls, whereas the bottom is open space. My cabinets have been installed already to form the bottom of the c. My question are: what kind of support is necessary? Can I use a single set of 2x4's or is a box layout a must? and since a gas line is running along the back of the cabinets, and therefore will need to be incorporated into the frame, what is the best way to do that? Notch the 2x4's or move the wall out from the gas line entirely? and since this bar will not be supported by a cabinet underneath will brackets be strong enough, or will i need posts on the far corners also? Any ideas or plans will be appreciated at this point. This project has become the most difficult to figure out in the entire renovation of a house. Thanks

Old 06-27-00, 07:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

You DMann! (sorry, I couldn't resist!)
If you do go with the granite top, I would recommend consulting the supplier of the top for requirements for adequate support for it. I'm a little hazy on the configuration you are describing, so I don't understand the part about "a single set of 2x4's or a box layout". If the gas line could be moved to miss any support for the top, it would be best. Notching 2x4's can reduce them quickly to the strength of 2x2's which isn't much. When I am confronted with a design situation that requires a lot of strength, I often consider (and resort to) the use of welded steel. In your case, you may be able to get considerably more strength for support in a lot less space with steel angle, channel or square tubing than with 2x4's. Also, you may be able to have some custom angle brackets welded up for support where there is no cabinet underneath. Check with a local awning and onamental iron fencing fabricator... they may be able to whip up any items you design in fairly short order. Let me know if this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: