countertops with metal strips

Old 05-30-05, 06:26 PM
martil
Visiting Guest
countertops with metal strips

My kitchen countertops have metal strip around the backsplash and sink. I want to remove the backspalsh and metal srips but don't know how to do it. Does anyone know if this can be done without damaging the countertop?
Thank you.

Old 05-30-05, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
those metal strips are like little j-channels for laminate. The metal strips are usually tacked down with short ring shank brads before the laminate is glued and slipped into place.

it could be that the backsplash has one on the top, bottom, and sides, but that the back side of the countertop has none. It could also be that where the countertop meets the backsplash, you have a corner strip... a curved metal piece, which is usually nailed underneath the laminate to the countertop. It just depends.

You should be able to remove the backsplash laminate without any problem, but I can't guarantee that you'll be able to remove the metal strip at the bottom of the backsplash, since it may be under the countertop laminate.

In cases where the countertop will be staying, and you just want to replace the backsplash, I've laminated new backsplash onto a 4" wide piece of particle board and siliconed it to the wall, covering up that metal strip in back.

Those metal strips are a real pain in the neck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: