how to build a loft bed ladder

Old 11-01-00, 07:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

PLEASE HELP. I bought a 6ft plus loft bed with out a ladder. Now I need to either find an already built ladder or make my own. I don't have the kid of cash necessary to hire a wood worker / carpenter to make it. There has to be plans out there on how to build a ladder from 2x4's or something similar. I hope to have my 14 yr old son help with this project, and I am not proficient in using any type of saws; other than circular.(i can handle straight stuff)
Thank you to all those that can help MOM.

Old 11-04-00, 09:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Go to www.rockler.com and look at bed plans (don't forget to keep the "l" in "plans" or you might not get what you had in mind!)
They have a few different options and you may find something that will help. A ladder could be made with 2x4's and deck screws, but you would need to dado the upright pieces to make it strong and that may be more than you want to tackle.
Another idea would be to go to some 2nd hand furniture stores and see if they have anything that would help.

Old 11-16-00, 02:36 AM
Visiting Guest
A quick fix that I used for a friend at college was to buy a wood folding ladder. I cut off the side opposite the steps and the top step so only the legs with steps remained. Then made plumb cuts to the tops of the legs so that I could secure the steps to the top bunk rail using wood screws (ladder should lean into loft for comfortable climb). It took stain and poly nicely and looks like it came with the bunks! I also didn't have to worry about the stregnth issue since I bought a sturdy ladder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: