Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

New to boards and needing a little help!! ) DIY Education

Old 06-07-05, 06:49 AM
amc5
Visiting Guest

Hey Guys/Gals. I am new to the forums. I have been looking on the site for a while, finally decided to join. I hope that I may help some of you out.

I dont know if this is the right place to post this question, but here goes. I am a avid Do-It-Yourselfer, and would like a little more training. I plan on doing some remodeling here soon. The thing is, I can read about how to do things, but I would like to actually do them.

Is there a such thing as a class, school, or something to get more education on Carpentry, Electrical, Flooring, pretty much everything you need to know about Construction? I am located in Georgia and haven't had much luck. There is Gwinnett Tech but they want you to apply, give transcripts, take an SAT just to take their 6 week class on Construction.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Old 06-07-05, 09:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One 6 week class will only include a very narrow subject of construction. It would be a 'start', not an education. You might be able to attend if you explain that you do not want a grade, i.e. not as an official student.

Another way is to attend short classes offered at wood working trade shows at they travel the country. These range some freebies, to weekend classes. Most workworkers have at least been to the freebie shows. I also attended a 1/2 day prepaid class on wood finishing. I recommend these too.

Another way is to attend private schools that offer courses such as cabinets, furniture, staining, etc. These are expensive and last about 2 weeks or longer, but are great places to learn hands on from what I have read.

Another way is to go to your local specialty lumber supplier. They usually offer 1 and 2 day classes on topics like wood turning, etc. I have been to these and can recommend them.

Also, communiversities, your local universities, offer trade and craft classes to adults mainly, i.e. foreign language, tileing, accounting, etc. Those are usually 1 to 10 classes in the evening for a low price. I took a wall paper hanging class there once.

In each case, they will all have a calendar of events (classes). That is what you need to ask for.

Old 06-07-05, 01:30 PM
K
Originally Posted by amc5
Is there a such thing as a class, school, or something to get more education on Carpentry, Electrical, Flooring, pretty much everything
If you're still young, I suggest you take a house apart, hands on. You'll see how everything went together, what worked and what didn't, and get payed too.

Often, before the bulldozer comes in, all the drywall has to be stripped out of a house for the landfill's sake. Work with someone who's done it before, you can gab about construction all day.

Old 06-08-05, 11:01 AM
K
for basic carpentry, try Highland Hardware in the Highlands near downtown. They have an extensive class list, everything from furniture building, to molding, etc.

Old 06-10-05, 06:53 AM
Homer's 1-2-3 books have been very helpful to me to get a basic understanding of the major components of a house and how they go together.
From there, you can start asking the right questions to get the answers you need. Or at least begin to select the articles that will make more sense.

There are a lot of great articles on this board and others for what you want to learn.
If you want some hands on, Habitat for humanity takes volunteers. Ask when the next time they are framing a house, or hangning drywall or laying tile, etc, and volunteer for that day.

Old 06-11-05, 09:22 PM
J
I would get a subscription to Fine homebuilding. Make use of their exellent videos and books. The best imo.The link is to the book section search for videos and subscription info. If they have it it is good--period!!!!!!

While your at it get a subscription to Fine Woodworking too.

I find classes not to be that good. You have no control over having to sit through learning stuff you already know. If you don't know anything then maybe,but if you know anything more than the very basics I would go the video route. Save the money and get some good tools.This is just my experience
Then there is that one person that is always asking questions because they think I don't understand . This is virtually inevitable,and I would have no problem asking the instructor how he will handle it should you choose the classes. I am not saying nobody should ask a question, but some people just go on and on and on ad nauseum all the while you are learning jack. Go video.

Tauntom press videos are in a class by themselves and should not be confused with other videos with a guy and a girl pretty much walking around and pointing at stuff and telling you how somebody else did it.

Old 08-04-05, 07:12 PM
jafo
Visiting Guest
Highland hardware is your best choice as mentioned before. have you checked into the dreded home depot yet. They don't offer a lot at one time but they do touch on a good bit over time. If you call them or go on line you can find out more about the classes they offer.

Old 08-04-05, 07:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Nothing beats 'hands on'. Check around with friends and co workers, chances are someone has a project in the works and would love some free help

Old 08-04-05, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Free??? *Never* work for free! At least get some beverages for all your work. Best way to learn is to get a job as a laborer. Start from the bottom up. Those who want to learn, are skilled and have the qualities *will* move up in the world.

Old 08-05-05, 06:05 AM
J
I would second that. It is nice to help out a friend or relative, but to do it to learn is another matter alltogether.You have no control over what you are learning nor do you know you are learning the correct way to do it.

Your original post said you wanted to do remodeling here. I would think it would be better if you found some friends or relatives that would help YOU on YOUR project for free. See how that goes first . You can always help them later. I find it is much more rewarding that way. I get a new deck or an addition, maybe a finished basement, and my friends and relatives get the experience. . And some help on their next project.

If you want to donate your time it is better to go with Habitat for Humanity or something similar. At least they know what they are doing. They work so fast that if you can be there for a week or so they go through many stages of the building process. I am sure they would not object to you being onsite whenever you wanted to be. Rough framing, electrical, drywall,finish work,painting you get the picture

Old 08-05-05, 11:26 AM
I second the recommendation regarding Habitat. Some affiliates have web sites with pictures, text, checklists, etc. Realize that there are "many ways to skin a cat" and Habitat uses approaches that are simple and safe because their workforce is volunteer.

The most important thing to learn is to not get ahead of the plan. Taking a shortcut to "do this while I'm here" will frequently lead to having to undo it because access to something else was lost in the process. Rework takes time.

Close behind are health and safety concerns. Dehydration in the summer is dangerous. A circular saw or framing nailer can bite before you feel any pain.

Old 08-05-05, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you want to have a look at some projects, try going to the top of the page and click on Interactive. There are many subjects and some of them have animated pics to watch. I refer many members there to learn to sweat copper. Good luck.

Old 08-07-05, 07:31 PM
R
learning woodworking

AMC5
Back in the late 30's or early 40's my Dad bought a set of Audels carpenter books, ( which I still have to this day and I am 73 yrs. old.). Dad studied them deligently and became the complete carpenter, i.e. framer, cabinet maker, whatever was needed. I still refer to these books occasionally. They are written in the old stylel and very easy to understand. My Dad's set was four volumes which include, builders mathematics, concrete, framing, all phases of carpentry. You may find these books at your public library or the famous book store, check for Audel on the web, you will find these books very interesting. I learned my carpentry starting at five years old, painting sills and joists with creosote.
Good Luck and stay with it!
Rio Frio

Last edited by rio frio; 08-07-05 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: