Dog chewed on Door Frame

Old 06-11-05, 08:37 AM
blakeas
Visiting Guest
Dog chewed on Door Frame

My golden retriever chewed on my door frame at the bottom - The part that looks like molding. How do i replace that? Do i have to replace the whole frame or can i just knock that piece off, get a new piece at HD, paint and cut to length and put it on? How do i take it off without damaging anything?

Old 06-11-05, 09:02 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it is only the molding part it is easy to replace. You will have to cut the caulk line (both at the wall and were the molding meets the jamb)with a razor knife. Simply pry it off. Try to not damage the wall. H.D. should have some thing close, if not you might try replacing all three sides. If H.D. doesn't have your style, you might check the local lumber yards (H.D. has a very limited selection and allmost no builders buy from them)

Old 06-12-05, 07:18 AM
blakeas
Visiting Guest
Old 06-12-05, 04:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Looks like colonial style mdf trim. You should be abe to buy a 7' piece at most outlets that sell to builders [maybe lowes or HD too] As stairguy said cut the caulk and carefully remove the trim. Cut the new piece to length on a 45` angle, nail, putty and caulk and you are ready for paint.

Old 06-12-05, 08:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can't find an exact match for the door casing, you may want to consider replacing it all the way around the door (two sides and top).

No one will ever notice that one door casing is different than another, but if you try to just replace the damaged piece with a new piece that doesn't match... it will likely get noticed.

Old 07-26-05, 08:05 AM
blakeas
Visiting Guest
OK - I finally took off the trim and now I am going to replace it - What type of nails and what type of putty will i need to cover the nails? Also do I put a coat of paint on it before i install it? OR just paint it when i have put it up?

Old 07-27-05, 08:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
6 penny nails should work fine. Putty the nail heads [sink them first] with painters putty [window glazing will also work] don't forget to caulk the gaps. You may wish to apply 1 coat of paint before installation but the final coat needs to go on after nailed up and caulk is dry.

Old 07-28-05, 06:26 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi
It's just colonial casing
Take a piece to your local lumber place and match it
if you cant match it there some kit that has all the pieces to replace it
Ps get the dog to pay for the damage

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: