Need to install pantry doors.. please advise

Old 06-13-05, 11:22 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to install pantry doors.. please advise

We have a pantry (3'x5') outside the kitchen area that is open which means it doesn't have any doors. I would like to install some sort of doors. How do I go about doing this ?. Should I measure and get the doors custom made ? and install them myself or is this a job I may not be able to do ? From the look of it , it doesn't look too involved. Can you please give me some advice on what to do step by step if possible ?
Many Thanks
-TBucket

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
First you need to decide what type of door you would like. A picture would help us visualize what your pantry looks like- especially the wall where your pantry door would go.

You probably have 3 options.

-pocket door (would slide within the wall, provided there is currently a wall for it to fit into)
-standard prehung hinged door
-bifold doors

A prehung hinged door would likely swing into the kitchen, not into the pantry, so you need to figure out if you have enough room for a door like this to swing open.

Bifold doors would also work, and don't swing out as much when they are open. Keep in mind that there will be less room in the door opening if you go with a bifold, because of the way it hinges.

A pocket door would slide back into the wall (if you have enough wall, that is) and would probably be the most ideal door for a pantry.

Old 06-14-05, 10:49 AM
T
I will go ahead and provide a picture for you. The pantry is actually build in the wall with existing shelves. It is located at the entrance of the kitchen. The pantry is also starts about 3' from the ground.

Thanks for the help
Tbucket

Old 06-14-05, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
So it's just some shelves built into the wall? And the opening is about 3' wide x 5' tall? I'd make a face frame out of 1x2, then mount 2 cabinet doors on that face frame. One of the doors could have an astragal (like a mullion, but attached to a door so that it doesn't block the shelves when you open the doors) so that you would not be able to see through the gap between the doors.

Old 06-15-05, 10:37 AM
T
So it's just some shelves built into the wall?

- Exactly XSleeper

And the opening is about 3' wide x 5' tall?
- the opening is 3' wide by 7' tall ( I measured it last night)

I have a JPG but I don't have permission to attach it to the post. is it not possible ?

sorry, I have a few questions: what's a face frame? where do I get the cabinet doors from? a place like Home depot, Lowes or they have to be custom made ? if so , where should I go ?
... and how do I mount the doors on this face frame ?

Many thanks for the help
P.S: If there is a way to post the picture, let me know!
-Tbucket61

Old 06-15-05, 10:51 AM
J
A Face Frame is like a Picture Frame. It's what is usually on the front of a cabinet that the cabinet doors are attached to.

Probably the best way to get this is to go to a local cabinet/millwork shop and have them make it for you - they can also provide the doors. You might want to have it sized so that it fits in the wall opening rather than being attached to the face of the wall. This would mean providing something just back of the wall face inside the opening to attach the face frame to.

Your cabinet maker should be able to do this very easily and neatly.

Old 06-15-05, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
You can post pictures to a web site like yahoo (there's lots of sites for photo sharing) and then paste the link here.

You probably want to get something custom built- you could go to any place that sells kitchen cabinets, or a custom carpentry shop, take them your measurements and tell them what you want- they can make it all for you.

A face frame is like a picture frame, but made from material that is 1x2 or larger. The inside dimensions of the face frame would probably be the exact size of your opening. Make a drawing of what you have, take it in, and they can advise you from there.

They'll make you a face frame that is screwed together with pocket screws, they will make you whatever style of cabinet door you want, and can probably even mount the doors on the face frame for you. All you would have to do is bring it home and nail it to the wall with some finish nails.

Old 06-15-05, 11:18 AM
T
Great Help... thanks XSleeper and Joe.. I'll start looking for a custom carpentry shop. will let you know how it turns out

-TBucket