Open Staircase - fitting risers - advice please

Old 07-07-05, 07:09 PM
Dave999
Visiting Guest
Open Staircase - fitting risers - advice please

Hi everyone,

hope you can give me a little advice/suggestions.

We have just moved to a new house and the staircase is 'open'. The treads are carpeted right round.
I am concerned that our dog is going to harm himself by losing his footing through the gaps. We have already had a couple of close calls.

I wish to close the gaps by putting in risers and then repining each piece of carpet to make a closed carpeted staircase.

As the risers are not part of the support structure and not load bearing i wondered what type of wood to use and how to fix.

I thought about 18mm MDF.

And the two fixing methods i have in mind are either

a - wooden block brackets to fix to the upper tread and long (ish) woodscrews through the riser and lower tread.
b - screw down through the upper tread (countersunk). And same as a for the riser to lower tread.

probably with first applying some pva to the joining surfaces.

That's my thoughts so feel free to comment on how you think i should tackle this. I will be doing it on my own and kinna need to do it quickly.

thanks in advance,

cheers,

dave

Old 07-08-05, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what type of material is the stair case made of?

Old 07-08-05, 02:18 PM
Dave999
Visiting Guest
Not sure to be honest. I'll take the carpet off of one of the treads tomorrow and have a look.

Old 07-08-05, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't use MDF. As long as you are carpeting it all in, i would use 1x pine. If you use screws and your stair treads are oak.. you better predrill.

Old 07-08-05, 10:28 PM
I agree with Hellrazor, MDF would not be a good choice, and pre-drilling is a must. Also, you may want to consider back-blocking the risers for safety.

Old 07-10-05, 12:17 AM
Dave999
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys...

I'll try and post a pic of a tread minus carpet later. I take it that back-blocking is adding those little triangular or square blocks of wood, (glued then screwed) at the top of the riser to the tread ?
Does anyone know of a tutorial on staicase building or whatever that may help me?

Old 07-10-05, 01:33 AM
Yes, back-blocking is exactly as you described. It just makes the stairs safer by helping to prevent accidental "kick-thru".

I can't remember the exact title of the book, but Home Depot has one that is all about stairs.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: