Hand Rubbed Finish

Old 07-16-05, 01:21 PM
metallica
Visiting Guest
Hand Rubbed Finish

Hi! I would like to apply a natural colored hand rubbed finish to some pine. Which brand would you reccomend to give me the best results in durability,shine and beauty. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-16-05, 08:00 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some points to ponder. First about natural, almost anything will change the tint of the color of pine; and pine darkens with exposure to light. For hand rubbing, most any finish will allow hand rubbing after it cures. Durability is probably best with polyurethane or other varnish, but may not be best for your project. Is this a table, chair, or a decorative item such as a picture frame? Shine can be obtained by polishing the finish to a high gloss. Beauty, well it is in the eye of the beholder. If there were a bit more information, a better recommendation could result.

Old 07-18-05, 09:12 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I assume you are saying want a oil type or a wiping varnish type finish. If that is right, check out the latest Fine Woodworking, they review about 10 different types, very good, unbiased review.

Or do you mean hand rubbed in the traditional sense? A brushed on finished that is hand rubbed with pumice and rottenstone to its final polish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: