Help installing marble window sills

Old 07-27-05, 03:14 PM
sashton
Visiting Guest
Help installing marble window sills

Can anyone help me find instructions for removal of wooden window trim including the stool and replacing the trim with new wood, the stool with marble? I have looked extensively on the internet and can find nothing regarding marble stools. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-05, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
no instructions, but I've trimmed 10000 windows or so. Never done a marble stool that I can recall, but I know I've removed some. They were glued down with construction adhesive and then the stops and casing keep them down in the glue, while the apron (if there is one) sandwiches the back side from underneath.

removing the old trim should be simple enough. All the face trim comes off, sometimes there are interior stops, other times extension jambs. The old wooden stools are nailed through the top, usually with about 3 nails, but sometimes they are also nailed into the apron too. Every once in a while you find some ambitious carpenter who nailed the stool from underneath, up into the trim to tighten up any gap. If you're not saving the old stools, take a reciprocating saw and cut them in pieces. Easier to remove that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: