Long Drawer Glides? 32"+?

Old 09-07-05, 07:08 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am planning to put a big drawer underneath the last few steps of our basement stairs. Since the stairs is 36" wide, I like to get a pair of glides at least 32" long and I plan to install them underneath the drawer instead of on the sides. Shopped at HomeDepot and a couple local woodworking supply stores and found out that the longest they carry is 24". I wonder if anybody knows any place on the Internet I can get longer glides?

Thank you in advance,
wt

Old 09-07-05, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Have you looked at Rockler.com? - They have lots of goodies.

Dick

Old 09-08-05, 12:12 PM
If you go to Woodworker's Hardware

http://www.wwhardware.com/

and look at part number KV8900 B32, you'll find the 32" slides your looking for. They are full extension ball bearing slides, and have a 500# capacity. They're not cheap, though. One set is $109.26. They sell them in lengths up to 60".

Part number B430E 32WH is also 32", and is a side/bottom mount that sels for $42.09 a set. But their white, if that makes a difference to you.

Last edited by Herm; 09-08-05 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 07:39 AM
Boxarocks
Visiting Guest
If the drawer can be constructed to accommodate casters, they might be better than guides, & allow rolling around on the floor. I'd create pockets at the drawer corners to set the casters into, & lose only a little space.

Old 09-10-05, 12:25 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Whenever you put side mount drawer slides under a drawer, you can bet on it only holding 1/2 the weight that it claims to hold as a side mount.

Old 09-13-05, 07:15 AM
K
Originally Posted by Boxarocks
If the drawer can be constructed to accommodate casters, they might be better than guides, & allow rolling around on the floor. I'd create pockets at the drawer corners to set the casters into, & lose only a little space.

Thank you all for the valuable information.

Putting casters sounds like a better idea to me than the glides I originally thought. However, it is still a little obscure how the finished drawer front is going to butt with the floor. I am guessing that I have to make the drawer front face 2 or 3 inches lower than the drawer bottom to cover the gap created by the casters and just leave a small gap above the carpet, maybe 1/8"? Correct?

Also, I can't visualize how the drawer front bottom side butts with the baseboard molding on the walls beside the drawer.

Old 09-13-05, 11:17 AM
Boxarocks
Visiting Guest
I've done the caster / drawer thing, so can advise some caveats.

Into the bottom corners of your drawer box, build a small cutout, into which the casters will be installed.
A drawing here:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...awercorner.jpg
This allows a deeper drawer to be built.

Make the drawer box, then install a 2nd "finished" front, which can be sized & adjusted to the opening. Adjust for carpet clearance now.
After fitting & installing the finished front, attach a piece of baseboard to the drawer front.

Attach wood as lateral horizontal guides to the under stair framing, to keep the drawer rolling strait. Possibly liquid nails a 2X4 to concrete floor may work!
Don’t use swivel casters, as the drawer will wander.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: