walnut countertop

Old 10-05-05, 02:57 PM
joshfm
Visiting Guest
walnut countertop

I'm hoping to put in a six-foot section of walnut kitchen countertop. We will not be using this as a cutting board, just counter workspace. Plan to use 3/4"x4" planks glued to 5/8" plywood. Is it necessary to put a tongue and groove in these, or can I simply (or not so simply, I guess) glue them together using clamps and then glue and fasten it to the plywood sub-surface? For a finish, can I use linseed oil?

Josh

Old 10-06-05, 06:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Josh,

Welcome to the forums.

Let me say first that solid wood counter tops are not recommended near water (sink) areas. Walnut is not to be used for food preperation areas either.

That being said - you stated that it would not be used for a cutting board, so the water is the concern. If it is not going to installed near a water area, that won't be an issue as well.

I have built counter tops using maple, oak, hickory flooring planks (left over from previous flooring jobs). Being flooring planks, they are, of course Tongue and Groove. I did glue them to a 3/4" Plywood substrate, and shot brads (from the bottom) through the plywood into the planks. They look great. I used tung oil for the finishing.

I'm not sure how it would turn out without the T&G, but you may have a problem with the seams if the wood dries out too much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: