Carpet on stairs, remove and replace with Oak treads

Old 12-29-05, 08:47 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpet on stairs, remove and replace with Oak treads

I want to remove the carpet on my staircase and replace the plywood treads underneath with oak planks. The complicating factor to this project is that my staircase curves as you go up the stairs. This will cause the treads to need to be cut into more of a pie shape as opposed to a standard rectangular tread. Two questions -

1) Is this type of project beyond the capabilities of a mid-range do-it-yourself? (p.s. I think I have the balusters, newel posts, etc. all figured out)

2) If the answer to 1 is no, do you have any suggestions, tips, hints on the best ways to make the cuts and measurements for the treads (type of equipment, etc.)

Thanks.

Old 12-30-05, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
carpet on stairs

It can be a DIY project. You have to remember to purchase your tread stock wide enough to cover the widest part of your step. Then take careful measurements and cut your pie. In the event you can't find stock wide enough, you will have to use two treads, with one cut from the back (flat side rather than rounded side) to make up the difference. Make sure there is enough nailing /support surface under the treads. After you have cut the treads, either biscuit or dowel the two edges together to keep them from shifting after installation. Basically you will have one piece of wood after the joining.
Hope this was helpful. Post further if you need additional help. Good luck.

Larry

Old 12-31-05, 01:25 PM
B
carpet on stairs

Thanks for advice. I thought that I would have the issue you had mentioned as some of the stairs are wider than the stock planks that you see at the lumberyard.

One other question, what do you think is the best equipment to use to make the cuts. Can this be done with a circular saw or is a table saw the way to go?

Thanks,

Brad

Old 12-31-05, 02:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
carpet on stairs

Unless you are really good at cutting angles on a table saw, I'd opt for the circular saw with a new 80+tooth carbide thin kerf blade. This will give you the cleanest cut. Oh, yeah, cut from the bottom, that way you won't have splinters and bad ends on your step treads.
Good luck with the project.
Larry

Old 12-31-05, 07:01 PM
B
carpet on stairs

Thanks very much for your help Larry.

Old 01-02-06, 07:17 AM
C
I'm planning a similar project. They make a measuring tool called the stair wizard, which is used to for this exact purpose. Its pretty expensive at $130, but may be worth considering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: