Glue thoughts

Old 01-03-06, 06:21 AM
D
Dig
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue thoughts

I am building a speaker cabinet and was wondering what is the best way to glue two pieces of wood? I know it sounds silly but I have read several different ways.

Put glue on both sides, one side. Looking for opinions of the strongest way to glue 3/4" plywood together?

Also what is the best glue? I have yellow wood glue but would liquid nails work better and stronger or is there something even better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-06, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Glue thoughts

I think the concensus among most wood butchers is to use Titebond II. No need to butter both sides, but you must remove any squeeze out if you are going to stain it. Do this with a wet sponge or rag at the time of assembly. Another newer product is Gorilla Glue. Now, it works a little differently. Wet one surface with a sponge and apply the glue to the other surface. Clamp them together. The glue will begin its work only in the presence of water. It will expand and squish out the joint, but don't clean it right away. Let it dry and use a blade to remove it. It will resemble the spray insulation you use around pipes and voids around window/doors when it is dry, but the adhesion is really good.

Old 01-03-06, 03:55 PM
T
Call me "old school"... but I still use Elmers woodworking glue.... with great results.......... easy to use, easy to clean up messes... and tight enough for anything I've built so far..........

Old 01-03-06, 04:30 PM
I use white glue or yellow, whichever is sitting nearby. However, if this is your first cabinet, you should know that no glue in the world will hold a sloppy fitting joint. The real secret to glue ups are tight joinery which is at the heart of woodworking. A tight joint and perfectly square box will glue up with a few bar clamps and either (any) glue.

Old 01-03-06, 07:41 PM
F
gorilla glue. the stuff is awsome! it does expand, so when they say use a small amount they mean it. i glued 12 trellis syle shutters together using a narrow crown stapler and these thing have not budged. the wood will give up before the glue.

Old 01-04-06, 03:51 PM
Gorilla Glue is good but could do more harm than good to an inexperienced user.

Titbond II is also good and there is a better chance you will get the desired effect.

Gorilla glue, as stated, should be left to dry and then removed.

Titebond II should be wiped clean immediately.

Either way, if either of the glues get onto a surface that you are wanting to stain, you may have an unfavorable finished stain look.

But For The Love Of God, Do Not use Liquid nails for this application.

Good Luck