Replacement Stairway

Old 04-06-06, 02:23 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement Stairway

Hello,
I just got my website up and running and have some pictures of my new oak stairway for those contemplating installing it themselves. I just have two questions: What do I do about the rug at the top of the landing? Its hanging over the top tread a couple of inches. I don't want to mess up the wood with holes that may show. The only thing I can come up with now is to staple the rug to the underside of the tread and trim the excess. Would you do the same?
My Website is at: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqx2eq/

Last edited by rjordan392; 04-06-06 at 03:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-06, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Nice job. I would do as you say, by stapling the carpeting under the nose of the top bull and trim it flush with the riser. It will give a good flow from the carpeting to the wood.

Old 04-06-06, 06:58 PM
R
Chandler,
Thanks and the only concern about stapling the rug to oak is the possibility of splitting the wood if I use a power stapler. I'll check with diy guys over in the Flooring forum to see if I can get some tips on what type of stapler to use.
In a past thread, I was wondering how the old oak risers ending up with almost identical shaped holes near the skirtboard. I thought it was stress at the time, but now I think it occured when rugs were installed using a power stapler. All of the holes were in a location with no support behind them.

Last edited by rjordan392; 04-07-06 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 12:44 PM
K
You could also trim the carpet back just enough to have some extra that you can fold up underneath itself up against the nosing, assuming that nosing at the top is oak as well. Otherwise, what you have done is probably the best route.

Old 04-09-06, 02:57 PM
R
Kris,
Thanks for the tip. I try that to see how it looks.