Time to install pre hung doors

Old 04-15-06, 05:45 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Time to install pre hung doors

My new home is about ready for interior doors,etc. The local lumber yard (not big box) says to install flooring and cut the doors and frames to fit. My builder says no, install the doors and frames. Who should I listen to?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-06, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Depends on whether you are the door hanger or the floor putter inner. I prefer to have the doors in place, shimmed, cased and finished prior to installing flooring. All that is needed is to undercut the casing the thickness of the flooring and slide it under. Much neater job. And besides, the guy at the lumber yard is just selling you doors; the builder is, well, building the house. You go with him.

Old 04-16-06, 01:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Houses are built in various manners mostly dependent on the builders and regional preferences. I have seen hardwood go down before sheetrock As a painter I hate to see hardwood installed before the walls are primed, after that it doesn't make a lot of difference to me.

As chandler said go with your builder. None of us like to be told what/how to do something when we have been successfully doing it another way for years. Generally the better you and the builder [and his subs] get along the better job you will get. If you need to confront your builder on something save it for something important.