poplar or birch

Old 04-20-06, 07:43 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
poplar or birch

hi, new to the forum and a major novice to the world of different types of woods. my question is, can i achieve a look of maple by using poplar wood? or would i be better off going with a birch? the poplar is more ready available in my area, and i do like the grain,,,but some pictures and information on the internet is saying/showing that it has a 'greenish' tint to it. which i do not like. i have seen that poplar takes stain well...and if so could i just stain it to match maple? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance, matt

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-06, 08:03 AM
S
IMO use birch. It's already a natural tan-to-blonde color and the grain is closer to maple than poplar is. I use poplar for paintable millwork applications. I believe birch will be more stable under a variety of temperature and humidity conditions. Trouble is - birch looks like birch and maple looks like maple.

Old 04-20-06, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
You can make birch similiar in color [not grain] to maple. You will never get poplar to look anything like maple.

Old 04-21-06, 07:12 AM
M
thank you very much for both replies! sounds like birch is definitely the answer. trying to achieve that lighter tone that maple seems to naturally have. birch it is! thnx again.