Making a Window

Old 05-02-06, 08:59 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Making a Window

Can anyone point me to any sites or books that explain how I can make a window (not fit a new window but make one from scratch.)

I need to make a non-standard window (in two parts, hinged, opening outwards, each part having one pane of glass) and have been quoted some ridiculous prices.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Darius

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-06, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The window, if you have any woodworking experience, you will agree ain't rocket science. Building a properly sized frame, installing molding to the half way mark less 3/16th of an inch, install double pane glass in a bed of glazing compound or silicone for cushioning, and install matching molding on the inside part. The hadware, you may have to look for. You can try the big boxes, or places like Rockler or Outwater. Just remember to allow space on the sides for the movement of the hinges and stop hardware. The glass, of course, you will need to have custom made to your frame, so build it first, get a good fit and take it to a glazier for the glass.

Old 05-11-06, 07:11 PM
R
windows

dariusp:
look around used book stores or maybe you can find some new editions. I have a set (of 4) Audels carpentry guides that belonged to my dad, ( who has long since gone to the great shop in the sky). I am now 74 yrs on this earth. Day built everything from a house to a babtistery using these books as a guide. He could do the windows from "ground up".
good luck , rio frio

Old 05-13-06, 07:12 PM
G
Look for some old european books on E-bay - should be able to find some good books on wood window construction.

I have gone to window manufactures and studied their work (several different ones) and found this helpful to avoid pitfalls.

One important note - do not us silicone. If you ever have to change the glass later - you risk removing chunks of wood when removing the glass (or you will have to cut with a knife and the risk of cutting the wood is high). When you order the glass and are picking it up - see if they can through in some 1/4" wide glazing stripping (comes in rolls and is very easy to apply and not messy, and they may have an end of a roll kicking around). This strip will provide the seal you need, and never completely hardens.