No level stairs

Old 05-09-06, 10:09 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No level stairs

I am re-carpeting my stairs and noticed that a few of the stairs are not level by quite a bit. I removed the tread and noticed that the side frames the tread rests on, is not level and would then cause the tread to not be level. What is the best way to the level out the side frame? Do I use a slimmy to level it out? Also, I noticed most of the treads don't rest on the risers. Is that a problem as well, or is it fine not to?

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-06, 01:18 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Leveling Stairs

When you say "not level", do you mean from side to side, or from front to back?

Old 05-09-06, 02:21 PM
W
What's a "slimmy"?

Old 05-10-06, 09:21 AM
S
Sorry, wrote this a little too fast. The stairs are not level from front to back. The back is higher than the front, so the tread slopes towards the front. As for "slimmy", I really meant to say "shimmy" (think that is what it is called).

Old 05-10-06, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How much out of level are we talking?

Are the stair carriages in the open with no walls, or is there a wall on one side, or a wall on both sides?

If the any of the latter two, describe in detail how the stairs look up against the wall. For example, do the stairs have that wood side skirt and then perhaps corner trim on top between the side skirt's top and the wall?

I am trying to figure out if you can reasonably jack up the entire set of stairs at the bottom... as in theory this would retain the riser height of each step, to what height you have now, and not cause the riser gap to increase, as will happen if you shim every step.

Old 05-11-06, 01:00 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Smile Leveling stair treads

Buy a pack of shims and try your luck leveling the worst case tread. If that seems to work, dry fit to your satisfaction, then glue and nail shims in place with brad nails, and replace the tread. In the perfect world, the treads should rest firmly on the frame. Good luck with your project.