nailgun size for 3/8"x3/4" 'clover leaf' applied mould

Old 05-17-06, 01:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool nailgun size for 3/8"x3/4" 'clover leaf' applied mould

Hello everyone,

Long and behold, after baseboard, casings and frames are finally done, I now need to affix quite a bit of the narrow moulding, known as 'clover leaf' (3/8" x 3/4"). My husband says that our nail gun, 18 gauge, is too big and will split the mould. If that's so, what tool would be the most appropriate one to use in this case? (pin gun?)
Many thanks in advance,

Solomia

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-06, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Solomia: Where will you be installing this molding? If it is so small that an 18 gauge nailer will split it, then you are looking at a glue gun with dual thermal glue.

Old 05-17-06, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
The pin nailer you are referring to is a 23 ga. pin nailer. You might have trouble finding one in the big box stores.

Old 05-18-06, 11:00 AM
S
Wink glue gun that is!

Thank you for your replies, Chandler and XSleeper:

I will be installing this 'clover leaf' mould as squares within squares on the pillaster's (attached to walls; is actual entry from bedroom to the master bathroom area) suurfaces beneath and above the chair rail. I am happy to hear that glue gun is an option. I hope to find out in the store what is the dual thermal glue is.. And yes, I now see that the smaller pin guns are not easy to find, so if I were needing much more of it's use, I would try to find it. In the meantime, I would try glue. Too bad (!), no filling out the holes - my 'favorite' operation! Thanks again, guys - you're great for providing answers to folks like me.

Solya

Old 05-20-06, 11:15 PM
The 23 gauge pin nailer is what I usually use for this application. The small headless nails are perfect for it, and leave a very small hole that you won't even need to fill. Mine shoots nails up to 1". I still use a little wood glue. At the price, though, you may want to just use the glue - unless you are going to have other uses for it. It is very handy to have around for many other things. Here's a link to one available at Woodworker's hardware.....

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/Gr...ner/showprod/1