Living room crown molding meets kitchen crown molding.

Old 05-21-06, 09:50 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Living room crown molding meets kitchen crown molding.

I can do the crown molding O.K. but my dilema is, I'm doing my living room 4" White crown molding and it's going to meet my 2" wood kitchen crown molding.

How is the best way to make it look right? Somehow tie it in kitchen or stop with a end piece? Pictures or web sites or advise would be great

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-06, 10:16 PM
A
Old 05-22-06, 05:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Since the kitchen crown butts up to the wall, I would have a return on the living room crown turn just where it meets the kitchen. If the profiles are the same, just cope the living room to meet the kitchen.

Old 05-22-06, 10:09 AM
A
Profiles are the 4" MDF crown are not the same as the 2" wood, What exactly is a return? Is that just a end piece? On the picture the upper right side will meet and the upper left side will meet.

Old 05-22-06, 10:36 AM
C
Pesonally, I wouldn't run painted MDF crown into your kitchen. I think it would look odd next to the wood kitchen crown. I also dont think it wouldn't work with the contemporary styling of your kitchen, which looks nice by the way. I'm not sure from a design point of view this type of crown would be right for your house, since your windows don't have casings and entryways are not cased. Maybe stop by the design forum for others input on that aspect.

From a technicall standpoint, your options are to run straight into the kitchen crown and try to cope out the profile (diffcult). or return the crown sometime before reaching the kitchen crown. A return in an outside corner cut which heads back into the wall. It can be any angle, typically its 90, 45 or 22.5.

good luck

Old 05-22-06, 12:03 PM
i can't access the pictures, but this is why all the trim in the house should be the same. continuity. this situation sounds very bad. it's one thing to have stained trim in one room and painted in another, but you don't even have the same trim in each room. i strongly suggest you decide which one you like best & use it everywhere, and either stain or paint it all.

Old 05-22-06, 11:41 PM
J
Could you post some pictures of your living room, particularly the areas where the moldings would come together? There are some possibilities but it's hard to say without seeing the situation.

Old 05-23-06, 11:02 AM
A
Originally Posted by Jan2
Could you post some pictures of your living room, particularly the areas where the moldings would come together? There are some possibilities but it's hard to say without seeing the situation.
Here is 5 more photo's, 2 are were it will meet in the kitchen and the rest is the living room and the type of crown olding it is.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rednri...?.dir=/ce32scd

Last edited by Angry Neighbors; 05-23-06 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-23-06, 01:20 PM
C
Its a little hard for me to judge since the living room is a work in progress. After looking at the pictures again, one thing that stands out to me, is you have a very modern (stainless, granite, maple cabinets) kitchen and have a rustic style floor with all the knots and character. That is part of my concern with the other crown molding, its usually associated with a more formal style and the floor and other details are other styles. I think it would help if you stated what you were hoping to achieve in the end and that would help people give you ideas on which way to go.

Good luck

Old 05-23-06, 06:57 PM
A
Originally Posted by chris8796
I think it would help if you stated what you were hoping to achieve in the end and that would help people give you ideas on which way to go.

Good luck
I'm not looking for an overview of the whole design, but what I am looking for is the best way to make the 2 different type's of crown come together.

Old 05-23-06, 11:17 PM
J
The simplest way to do it would be to run the MDF molding and just put a 90 degree return on it when you get close to the kitchen.

I think the stained molding in your kitchen looks nice against the wall color so I would consider getting some more of that and running that in the living room. I know that's a bit smaller than you intended but stained wood has more visual heft than painted and it would really tie the whole space together.

There's also a way to build up the stained molding a bit in the living room that could be made to fit. If you're interested post back.

Jan

Old 06-01-06, 04:30 AM
C
having 2 different crowns butt together just doesnt look good. my suggestion is to put some type of square block in the corner as a separation of the 2 different crowns.

Old 06-05-06, 07:45 PM
I would have to agree. It will need some sort of transition. Something to separate the two different crowns altogether.