Plans for a garage loft (large set of shelving)

Old 05-25-06, 08:33 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plans for a garage loft (large set of shelving)

Hi,
I've been googling in vain for a number of weeks trying to find an easy to follow set of plans for building a set of large shelves in my garage. Possibly its my terminology of them - I would call what I'm looking for a 'loft', but I'll describe them here.

My garage is completely finished - it has fully sheetrocked walls and a ceiling. It is a two car garage and what I'm looking to do it add a set of shelves that are as wide as one car width wide (9.5 feet) and 5 feet deep. I have a high ceiling (almost 10.5 feet) so I think I could add two shelves (say one at 8 feet and one at 6.5 feet) which would still leave me 6.5 feet under the lower shelf. The height would allow a car (the hood) to sit partially under the lower shelf if need be. Actaully, right now it wouldn't be needed (my car would fit fine without being under the shelf), but I don't want to limit myself in the future.

So what I'd like is a set of two shelves 9.5 ft wide by 5 ft deep in my garage. I'd like them to support a good amount of weight so one thing I found in my research is I need to put a 4x4 post from the ceiling to the floor in the one corner not attached to a wall. I have this general idea of how to do this, but I can't find any complete plans. Can anyone help ?!? I'd really appreciate it. In addition to needing complete plans, one of my hang ups is how to attach this ceiling to floor brace into the celing and into the concrete floor of my garage.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-06, 09:14 PM
tae
you could use something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

just run it 3 or 4 deep for four or five foot depth. should be plenty strong and can attach with anglebrackets on the sides(to existing studs) and drilled into ceiling studs on top. or seeing the basic dsign, make your own from 2x4's without the plastic brackets.

Old 05-27-06, 05:05 AM
P
tae,
It wouldn't quite work for me because I need to make the shelves 9.5 feet wide and the product only supports 8 ft wide shelves. If I don't go the full width, I wouldn't be able to pull a car partially under the lower shelf if needed.

Old 05-27-06, 06:25 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Garage shelves

Is the attic above your garage finished?

If not, then anchoring the 4x4 post at the top is easier. Cut a 3.5" x 3.5" hole in the drywall ceiling at the exact location of the top of the post. Drill a 1/2" hole 3" deep where the center of the post will set on the floor. Drill a 1/2" hole in the center of the bottom of the post. Buy a 1/2" bolt 6" long and cut off the head. (or use a 6" length of 1/2" rod or allthread.) Place the bolt in the hole in the floor. Insert the top of the post through the hole in the ceiling first. and then set down on the bolt on the floor. Anchor in the attic to the framing members. You will probably need to install a short stringer between two ceiling joists to secure the top of the post. Post length will be from floor to top of ceiling framing. I would suggest a treated 4x4 for the post. since it will be in contact with the concrete floor.

Now for the shelf framing:

2x6 from post to wall along the 9 foot span. 2x4's horizontally on 2 walls. Tops of these level with top of 2x6. 2x4's along 5 foot span placed on 16" centers. Cover shelves with 1/2" OSB, smooth side up. Repeat process for other shelf. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.