Folding bench seat

Old 06-02-06, 12:44 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Folding bench seat

In our house there is a narrow hallway and closet that is just off the back door. Its a great convienent place for us to kick our shoes off as we come in the house.

However, because the hallway is so narrow, about 2 1/2' wide, we cannot put a bench in there to sit on and put your shoes back on.

I was thinking of building a folding bench seat that attaches to the wall so it can be used when needed but yet folded out of the way otherwise. However, I cannot think of what to use to attach it to the wall that would be strong enough to support a couple hundred pounds of weight, folds up, and yet looks attractive.

Has anyone out there built something like this or have any good ideas? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-06, 10:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I'm sure you can figure out the design you want, so I won't go there. At the height of the bench, place a 1x2 cleat the length of the bench, so the bench will rest on it when it is down. At each stud, install a 2x2 hinge on top so it can lift upward. Now as for legs, you will probably need a board that runs the entire length of the bench and (of course) the height of the bench, attached to the front about 3" inward with a piano hinge on the back side. This way when you lift the bench up, the leg falls flat against the wall as well. A wooden twist latch on top will hold the unit flat against the wall when not in use. It will protrude 1 1/2" into the room when closed.