How to trim this Kitchen Cabinet?

Old 06-08-06, 12:51 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to trim this Kitchen Cabinet?

I am running short of the height where refrigerator slides in. Need to trim the 1.2 of the Cabinet frame. See the link below

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...nt=Kitchen.jpg

Any ideas how to remove this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-06, 05:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Your rail is probably only 2" wide at the onset, so taking 1 1/2" off is untenable. There will be no support for the cabinet bottom. I have done this, but it requires removing the cabinet, exploding it, recutting the doors, moving the rail up and trimming off the stiles, resetting the bottom. Basically a total rebuild. But it may be the only route you have, so finding a good cabinet man/person may be in your best interest, unless you are in the mood for it. If you decide to do it, let us know, and we can walk you through it.

Old 06-08-06, 05:35 PM
B
have you tried taking the legs off the fridge? That might at least get you closer so you don't have to cut off so much

Old 06-08-06, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Hey, did that to a tractor trailer one time with too tall a load and too short a bridge. Let 1/2 the air out of the tires. Worked.

Old 06-08-06, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
If I were asked to cut the bottom of the cabinet pictured, i would first make sure that the bottom of the cabinet would not fall out if the lower 1.2" were cut off. Then I'd begin by removing the cabinet from the wall, remove the doors and then run it through a table saw, taking the needed amount off all 4 sides of the bottom. Since it's painted, you'd fill any nicks the sawblade made, if any, and sand it, prime it, repaint it.

I see no nice way of doing it in it's current position hanging on the wall.

Old 06-10-06, 06:33 AM
C
sorry but cannot be done. if you cut the cabinet down then the doors wont work. you have really only 3 options. remove cabinet totaly and recut crown to return back to wall. raise REF. cabinet to allow REF. to fit. raising the cabinet will make the kitchen look tacky. or you can purchase new cabinet that is less in hieght to allow REF. to fit. there is 1 other option that i just thought of and that would be to remove the cabinet totaly and install a 6" wide filler that goes across the top of the REF. opening as a valance