Soffit & fascia trim on new shed

Old 06-09-06, 10:49 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Soffit & fascia trim on new shed

What are my options to trim the overhang on my new shed? I have yet to build the roof so I can figure out what I want to do with the soffit and fascia of the building. Can I just trim it with regular 1x pine and paint or does it need PT wood? The roof material will be sheathing and shingles and the building will be sided with painted hardipanel.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-06, 03:18 PM
Here are some of your options:

1. There are primed soffit strips in several widths that can span multiple rafter tails, so I would recommend that material instead of pine for the soffit. It's not structural and just nails to the lookouts.

2. The fascia is very exposed to water off the roof. There is some plastic fascia that would never rot in the future. If you do use any kind of wood fascia it must be thoroughly painted and caulked, especially where two pieces splice together - a prime location for rot and fungi growth. The fascia gets all the sun exposure as well.
Adequate galvanized flashing is a must under that first row of shingles.

Old 06-09-06, 04:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I still like to install dimensional lumber 2x6, etc. along rafter tails, making allowance for it with the roofing, and then installing the fascia material, and not have to span the tails. As far as the soffit goes, I would wrap the dimensional fascia with aluminum, extending it down 3/4 inch and returning it under the fascia, and installing f-channel on the opposing wall and use vented vinyl soffit. No maintenance.
Definitely use drip edge to run the water away from the fascia and rakeboards.

Old 06-12-06, 07:47 AM
J
Thanks guys. Great advice.

What about the option of no overhang at all, then trimming the rafter ends as fascia and butting the hardipanel up to the fascia?

Old 06-12-06, 03:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Seal up the lookouts into the building and leave the rafter tails exposed. Sort of a 1950's look, but it is nice.