Is the book "The Woodworker's Bible" useful?

Old 06-14-06, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the book "The Woodworker's Bible" useful?

Hi all

I'm thinking of buying "The Woodworker's Bible" by Alf Martensson (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/002...lance&n=283155) but it's really expensive and I don't want to waste money if it's not very useful. I can't find a review on any of the usual sites. Can anyone who knows the book help with advice? Thanks

Mozie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 07:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
$2.25 is expensive And I thought I was cheap

Old 06-14-06, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by lexmarks567
$2.25 is expensive And I thought I was cheap
Yes it's $2.25 in America. In South Africa it costs almost R300, some have to feed a family for a month on that!!!!:

Old 06-15-06, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Mozie
Yes it's $2.25 in America. In South Africa it costs almost R300, some have to feed a family for a month on that!!!!:
Well You did not say that put your location in your post when talking about prices.

Old 06-15-06, 04:11 AM
Getting back to the subject, my question is about the quality of the contents of the book "The Woodworker's Bible" by Alf Martensson! Is it a good book?

Old 06-15-06, 04:13 AM
Sorry Mozie, Lex meant no disrespect. There are so many people from the U.S. on this site on a daily bases that unless you put your geographical location in your profile it's easy for people to assume your from the U.S.

If I converted the currency correctly R300 = $43.85 U.S. dollars.

I have no 1st hand experience with that book and will move this post into the woodworking section where you may get better feedback by the pro's in that area.

I would assume the value of the book would be based on what you're going to do with it.

Old 06-15-06, 05:59 AM
Thank you Mattison. I've updated my profile. And thanks for moving this to a more appropriate section.

At a local online bookshop that imports books it costs R273.43 plus R25 for delivery. That's about $43.75 at todays exchange rate.

I'm finding woodworking more and more interesting and it is a great stress reliever . But I need to know MUCH MORE before I tackle more adventurous projects, like furniture . If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 06-18-06, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
You might try ordering on-line from a used book seller. Try Ebay. Not sure how expensive the shipping would be, but the book would be considerably cheaper.

No cost alternative: the web. There is more information available on the web for free than you could read in three lifetimes. Just spend a lot of time on Google searching or ask here.