Extending a counter top

Old 06-15-06, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Extending a counter top

I would like to extend a counter top by about four foot so that I can install a under cabinet dishwasher. I figured I should be able to install lower cabinets, leaving enough room for the D/W and just butt the counter tops together. I know this is going to leave a seam in the top, but am hoping I will be able to clamp it together enough to minimize the chance of water getting into it.

Don't really want to have to replace the entire length of counter top. That is an option, but not one that I want to do at this time.

Do you think this will work? Advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-06, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
One problem I see is matching the color and design of the countertop. Can you do that? If so, you may be able to do it. But the seam???? You will have to remove the trim along the side of the existing countertop to give you a good sealing surface. Between the two countertop pieces, use Lexel, a clear adhesive/caulk/sealant. Once the beads are applied to the sides, place them together, and pull them together with clamps. If you are lucky, the sink is close enough to provide one clamping point. Once the Lexel has had time to set up (it won't harden), scrape it off with a razor blade and clean the seam with Methyl Ethyl Keytone. It won't be the best solution, but you can do it.

Old 06-16-06, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well I see we are both on the same sheet of music. That is what I had planned on doing, just was wondering if anyone had a good/bad experiences doing it this way.

The sink is about 3 foot away for the end of the counter, and there is a lower cabinet between it and the end of the counter. I don't think I will be able to use the sink/sink hole as a clamping point. However, I was going to try a couple of different methods of clamping. 1. Simply install a cleat on the under sides of the counter top to pull them together. 2. Get some of the under cabinet clamps (like the ones used at corner seams) and cut a notch under the counter top to install them in. Use those to pull the seam tight.

I will probally have more of a problem getting the backsplash to seal up than the top itself, as there won't be any way to clamp the backsplash together.

The matching problem shouldn't be to bad, the counter is one of the generic lamanate butcher block tops. I think I can get one at one of the box stores. May not match exactly, but should be able to get close.