How to best repair wood joist in attic?

Old 06-18-06, 09:51 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to best repair wood joist in attic?

I've lived in this house for a couple years now and only just this past month noticed (what seems to be) a rather large problem in my attic. Of course being my luck what it is, it is at the opposite end of the house where the attic ladder is located.

Anyway, take a look at these pictures. It is the joist that is supporting the roof. I was thinking perhaps some sort of metal plate and affixing it to the wood and holding it in place with lag screws.

Ideas?

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...60618_0014.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...60618_0013.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-06, 11:33 AM
R
rpt
Here's what I'd do:

Get some wood of the same size and same length so it exactly matches the previous piece of wood. Line it up and make sure that it's all straight, you may have to lift the beam a little to straighten it.

When you're all ready go to, put some wood glue in the cracked portion. Get some liquid nails and put it along either piece of wood. Hold the two pieces together with C-clamps and line it all up. Then use some general purpose screws and secure the two pieces of wood. Between the screws and the liquid nails, you'll have a pretty good bond and the new wood will take the load. I recommend taking the new piece of wood all the way to the support points at both ends. I suggest the wood glue in the crack for a little added bonding of the original, but it's probably not really needed.

Old 06-18-06, 02:02 PM
Do NOT use screws, they do not have enough strength. You need to use 16d nails or even lag bolts.

Old 06-18-06, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It is a rafter, and I would do as rpt suggests up to using the screws. Lags are fine, but carriage bolts with washers is even better. And opinions are like belly buttons, so use the method you deem the best in your situation.

Old 06-20-06, 08:13 PM
R
rpt
I suggested screws instead of nails because you don't have to hammer away across the rafter, which is broken. It's also easier to install using a power screwdriver. It's really all a matter of the number that you want to use. If you're using a lower guage screw than the 16d nail (8 guage), then you need more of them (assuming the same material).

I agree that carriage bolts are superior, but will require more work.

Old 06-21-06, 02:56 PM
Decking screws are not for structural work, you will not pass an inspection or home inspection using them. Lag screws, lag bolts and nails are required. Its not a matter of what requires more work, its about doing it right in the first place.

Old 06-21-06, 06:45 PM
R
rpt
That's interesting. I didn't know that a home inspection wouldn't pass with general purpose screws. I don't understand why, but I accept that rules are rules.