Framing Nailer?

Old 06-28-06, 07:36 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing Nailer?

I plan to build a 8 X 12 ft 1 story addition to my house and was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to buy a framing nailer and compressor. I'm looking at $400-$500 and it just doesn't seem worth it for such a small project. I can get a good framing hammer for $30-$40. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 08:09 PM
You will want the framing hammer anyway but a 20 oz. wood handle model for about $15 new should be sufficient. Don't need a $30 Estwing just to build a little room.
Framing nailers and compressors are rentable. Such a small space should be framed in about 1-2 days and you will really enjoy using the nailer to frame/deck the roof.
If you will use other air-powered tools in the future, buy the compressor (about $240 new) and rent the framing gun. The trim nailer (16-guage finish nailer) and the roofing nailer/stapler are rentable as well.
Having a 10" chop saw as well as a circular saw will be handy for cutting 2x to length as well as for any trim (doors, windows, base molding).

Old 07-02-06, 08:24 AM
R
Hi: For an addition of that size, I would find it hard to justify the investment. And I think you would be looking at closer to $650. to $700. for good equipment, say a Hitachi NR83 and a small Rol-Aire compressor, plus hoses. Also, there is the cost of the nails, which can get a little costly, especially if you opt for HD galvanized. Of course, you may have some future uses in mind. Depending upon the interior finish you have planned, you may be better justified in purchasing a compressor and finish gun, and perhaps rent for a day a roofing nailer to speed up that aspect.

Whatever you do, be careful as these nailers do poses a good degree of risk to even experienced users.

The best compressors would be the oil bath type, such as Rolaire, Emglo, etc. A 1 HP pancake should serve most any of your needs, except for spray painting & larger inpact tools.

Good luck, and hope this info helps.

Bob

Old 07-02-06, 09:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
I wouldn't think a small addition would justify the exspense but if you are just wanting to buy more tools..........

Even if you use a framing nailer you still need a hammer. A framing nailer will shoot nails but not neccessarily draw the wood together and its not all that hard to drive nails with a hammer. Now for trim work a finish nailer is a time saver and [if used properly] can make for a better job.

Old 07-02-06, 09:20 AM
B
For small jobs like that and if you think you will ever use it again I would look into the Pasload Impulse cordless frame nailer. You could probably find one for around $300 on ebay and no hoses or compressor to worry about. Only on a huge framing job (that I wont do anymore anyway) would I ever want a pneumatic nailer again. So nice not to have to fuss with the loud compressor and dragging hoses around not to mention cheaper.

Old 07-02-06, 10:04 AM
B
Thanks

for the advice everyone. I'll stick to the hammer idea

Old 07-02-06, 02:51 PM
B
trying to remember the last time I actually drove a nail with a hammer. Still use it constantly to knock stuff into place or whatnot just rarely for nailing. I have a big box of hand drives somewhere getting dusty lol. I kinda miss hammering nails. One tap to set and two whacks to drive while spinning the next 16p nail ready with the other hand. Was almost fun.

Old 07-03-06, 12:56 PM
W
One tap to set and two whacks to drive while spinning the next 16p nail ready with the other hand. Was almost fun.
Speak for yourself. I got the one tap to set but it's 5 or 6 to drive and you lost me with the spinning the nail bit. Of course I can hold my own with the hit the thumb and swear like a sailor trick.

Old 07-03-06, 02:47 PM
B
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Speak for yourself. I got the one tap to set but it's 5 or 6 to drive and you lost me with the spinning the nail bit. Of course I can hold my own with the hit the thumb and swear like a sailor trick.
LOL trust me I have whacked myself more then once with a big 26oz waffle head. Only thing that hurts worse is to do it again the same day. I haven't tried it in years but I used to be pretty good at nailing. Honestly an average of 3 hits including the set. The spinning part is just where you hold about 10 nails in your other hand and turn the next one by feel to have it ready to set point side down while your hammering in the last one. We had guns then too of course but only 2 on a crew of 5 so there was still a bit of hand nailing to do. Don't mean to get nostalgic on this guys thread lol. Wont see me on a framing crew today. The young bucks can have all that!

Old 07-03-06, 03:44 PM
W
I just got back from a vacation in Hawaii. The area we stayed had a ton of new houses (high end) going up along the golf course. There seemed to be 20 guys in each framing crew and I didn't hear a single compressor or framing nailer. They were all pounding nails.