Need advice on building entertainment shelf...

Old 07-05-06, 07:27 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice on building entertainment shelf...

Hi all. I have one of the old style big screen TVs. You know, the big, bulky ones. Since upgrading to one of the newer, WAY sleeker and smaller units isn't possible, budget-wise, right now, I've decided I'm going to build a shelf around the television. The shelf will be for holding components, DVDs, and speakers.

I've been planning this for about a week now, and the more I think about it, the more I change plans. Basically, I'm trying to think about what I need now, and at the same time, build something that I will be able to easily alter in the future to cater to a smaller set.

What I'd like from you all, if you don't mind, is just some advice or pointers. Maybe someone here has taken on the same project before? What kind of things will I need to keep in mind when planning? That kind of stuff. Also, if there are any good web sites (aside from this one, of course ) that deal with this, in particular, send them my way.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-05-06, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I have one of the Hitachi 48" albatrosses, but good pix and got it for only $300 a few years ago, so I am in the same boat as you. I built a side unit rather than a cabinet type thing. It is the same height of the tv, about 18" wide (or whatever the widest component was at the time), 18" deep with dadoed shelves at about 8" each, except for the bottom which is about 18
high to take the sub woofer of the surround sound. I have a total of 5 shelves plus the bottom hole. If you want a pix of it, let me know.

Old 07-05-06, 06:25 PM
C
i am a custom cabinet builder and can give you some good ideas. i will need a better understanding of what you want and the type of tools you have to work with. if you could email a photo of your set up that would be best

Old 07-06-06, 06:42 AM
C
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

Chandler, I would like to see a pic(s) if you have them. Who knows, maybe they'll inspire some new ideas. Thanks.

Cobradude, my woodworking tools are minimal, at best. Basically, I've been looking at some of the shelving boards at one of the big box stores, and have been really planning on building around the precut sizes available. I'm going to try and keep my cutting as minimal as I can, even though it's going to be inevitable, with the shelves and trim and whatnot.

I think what I'm going for is to have side shelves on each side of the monster for components, and then maybe incorporate a bridge across the top, to connect the two shelves, for DVDs.

I pretty much know what my basic set-up is going to be, but with my lack of woodworking experience, I could really use some pointers on the proper hardware to use when assembling the shelf, so if you guys don't mind, I could use some advice in that area...

Right now, if you can't tell already, my plan's a little scattered, but it's starting to come together! Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: