Pre-built $21,000 house from Home Depot?

Old 07-10-06, 01:29 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pre-built $21,000 house from Home Depot?

A friend was recently in Texas and said she saw a small two-story structure for sale at a Home Depot near Dallas. Apparently it's fully sided and roofed but the inside walls are unfinished and there isn't any plumbing or electric run. Has anyone heard or seen this?

I've checked HD online and made a couple of calls but was put on hold and my cell phone minutes are shot. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by findtheriver; 07-10-06 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 04:35 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Seen it. I think it's 16x16 with a loft upstairs.

I've thought several times that it would make a cute guest/mother-in-law suite. I wouldn't want to live it though, way too small.

Here, it's only about 14k built. Probably another 5 or 6 to finish it out with electric, bath, kitchenette, and a small central heat/air unit.

Old 07-11-06, 08:26 AM
F
Thanks for the reply, Pendragon. That sounds like the one as she mentioned the loft. Any impressions as to the quality? I imagine it's standard framing with osb sheathing but I'm wondering what kind of siding they use. Also do you know if that price includes windows?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a lot and plopping one of these down until I can build something larger as the lot itself would tap most of my funds. The cottages built for Katrina caught my eye because they could be added on to later. Other modular systems seem to have a low starting price but many things- windows, doors, etc.- are not included.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-06, 10:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
The ones I've seen had T-111 or similiar siding. I believe they include everything you see on the display model

Old 07-11-06, 03:36 PM
16x16? My shops bigger then that

Old 07-11-06, 05:44 PM
HD actually overs a wide range of pre-built and built on site structures, far more than you see on display. If you go to the service desk, they have an entire listing, along with options (and pictures) for each.

The display model is priced with everything you see on it, which means a frame floor. You'd need a crawl space to make it living area, which means it'd need to be at least 18-24" off the ground (depending on your areas code). A concrete floor is more expensive, but would be the better choice if you are planning to add on later, just remember to leave taps for the plumbing along the exterior foundation walls.

You could swap the T1-11 for OSB and then vinyl it. Of course that also raises the cost.

If this were a temporary structure to live in while you built a home, I'd go for a small travel trailer. Cheaper, and you get the advantage of a travel trailer. On the other hand, if you planned ahead, and placed it on the lot in such a manner that it could become guest quarters once the main home was built, that would be good too.

At 16x16, you are going to be spending a lot of time outside.

Old 07-11-06, 09:19 PM
F
Thanks for all the feedback.

marksr,

This is good to know. It sounds like a pretty good deal then.

Hellrazor,

That really is small, but it's a temporary thing while I build something of my own design (which will also be relatively small, but bigger than 16' x 16').

Pendragon,

I was thinking of a simple block foundation as I've built a few and I like how they're fairly easy to work with. But thanks for the reminder about the importance of planning- placing it where it could be used later as a guest house is a great idea.

Not crazy about vinyl siding, so I suppose the T1-11 would be fine.

A trailer is something to think about. I wonder if the city would let me park it on the lot while I built the house. The way things go, though, it could take years for the house to be completed and I think I'd prefer an actual home-like structure in which to crash at night. I've lived in lackluster apartments for much of my life so just about anything would be a step up

Old 07-12-06, 04:17 AM
I had a chance to look at it, it's priced under 8k (here) and appears to be reasonably well built (2x4, 16" oc, hurricane clips, OSB underlayment). Not sure why yours is near 21k, doesn't seem like there would be that much of a price difference from florida to texas.

Last edited by Pendragon; 07-13-06 at 04:25 AM.
Old 07-12-06, 11:45 PM
F
$8,000 sounds like a steal. I'm out in CA though so I wonder if it has to be shipped out here. The HDs I called in this area had no idea what I was talking about. If I have time tomorrow, I'll try calling Texas again and see if I can get more information. You'd think there'd be something online about this, but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks again.