plywood vs. edge glued pine???

Old 07-10-06, 05:54 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question plywood vs. edge glued pine???

I am in the planning stages of building a DIY Entertainment Center and am trying to decide what types of wood to use. I am very new to woodworking. I have some knowledge and understanding but very little practice. I initially planned on using 3/4" birch ply for it's strength and stability. However the exposed edges present a problem and I would have to finish them off with some edge banding. Then I came across some edge glued pine but I am concerned about the strength compared to the plywood. If anyone has any experience using edge glued pine (or any type of edge glued wood) I would appreciate some advice. Appearance is a concern because it will be the central piece in my living room. However, it does not have to be "custom cabinet perfect". I don't mind a bit of a DIY look
The unit itself will be constructed "modular" type. I'm going to start with two 48" W x 12" H x 24" D base cabinets. I will lay these side by side to create an 8 ft. base. Then the next layer will consist of a series of "lids" to cover my components and provide the top surface. The center lid will be 48" W for the television. This will be the main weight bearing piece and will be supported by cross beams. (I will be replacing my 32" Sony Wega CRT with a sleek new 50" Samsung DLP) The weight load will be about 70 lbs. The two side lids will lift off to provide access to the components below (specifically the reciever!) I may place my front R and L speakers on top of the side lids (they weigh 25 lbs. each!) The whole unit will be about 24" high so it will be low to the ground and with a wide base.
Any info on the wood type or construction methods would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 08:06 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use edge glued panels all the time and have never had any issues since I learned how to glue them properly when arranging the woodgrain. I have also used store bought glue-ups and never had any issue with these either, even with a heavy load applied.

With the weights you're talking about, you shouldn't have any problems either. It will actually probably be stronger than using plywood of the same thickness.