Cutting melamine filler strips

Old 07-12-06, 09:09 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cutting melamine filler strips

I'm finishing up a bathroom remodel. For various reasons, the cabinets are in place already. I need to:
  1. Find and purchase some white melamine filler strips.
  2. Cut to proper width.
  3. Install.

My principal concern is how to properly cut them so I don't trash the melamine facing...I'm worried about any kind of saw I'd use chipping along the edge, especially since the're likely to be MDF, yes?. Suggestions?

I'm pretty sure I can do #1, and #3, but if there's a good FAQ or people have suggestons, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

-HoB

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-06, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Of course the best way to cut the panels is with a table saw, face up with a set tooth plywood blade. Carbide tends to chip the face of the material. A thin kerf carbide blade will work, and will last a little longer. If all you have is a circular saw or jig saw, you may still be able to do it.
Try this: score your line on the facing with a plexiglas cutting tool or sharp razor blade. Cut on the outside of the score mark with a circular saw, again with as fine a blade as you can muster up. Having scored the material, it will chip, but on the outside, away from your work surface.