Nailer For Installing Trim and Base Molding

Old 07-21-06, 10:42 AM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nailer For Installing Trim and Base Molding

I have a pretty big project on the horizon..........installing new door, window, closet, and base trim around the entire house.

I'm thinking that a time saver could be buying an air compressor and nail gun.

What size compressor and nailer is appropriate for this? I see cheap nailers that will sink an 18 gauge, 1.25" brad.........but I'm not sure if that is big enough to do this type of work. Do I need a finish nailer and what would be the appropriate size finishing nails for molding?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-06, 01:04 PM
W
You're probably looking a a brad nailer. For trim work a finish nailer capable of driving 2 1/2" nails is better. Buy one and you won't be disappointed. They are a real work and time saver.

Old 07-21-06, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
Senco has a kit with a mini compressor and two guns (brad and finish) that would be pretty reasonable for a DIY'er. Porter Cable's kit features a larger compressor and two guns (brad and finish) which would also work well for you. Like Wayne mentions, the larger 15 ga finish gun would be better for large mouldings (baseboard, crown, outside casing nails) while the 18 ga brad works best for smaller jobs such as pinning casing to jambs or nailing down base shoe. If you get an 18 ga brad nailer, try to get one that will shoot 5/8 to 2" nails- that would widen the amount of things you can do with it. A brad nailer will shoot on thin baseboard just fine, but thicker baseboards require larger and longer nails.

Old 07-22-06, 05:50 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Finish Nailer

I use a Paslode 16 gauge cordless finish nailer. No compressor. No hoses. Good resale value. Just a thought.

Old 07-22-06, 05:56 AM
As others have suggested, a 16-guage finish nailer would work. 2" brads in 18-guage can sometimes hit a knot and curve back around, even though the head is much smaller. 15-guage works well but the nailer and the nails are more expensive.

Old 07-22-06, 09:15 AM
F
I second the Paslode. I prefer the angled model to the straight for hitting corners. There's some light maintenance required but it's pretty simple. The only problem I had was the battery occasionally disengaging from the contact, which necessitated pushing it back in. I heard a tip about wrapping a little duct tape on the battery so it fits in its compartment a bit tighter and haven't had an issue since.

Old 07-22-06, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I use the Dewalt DC618, 18v. 16 gauge 20 degree nailer, and love it. I had an issue with my Senco Airfree 41, and the store swapped even for the Dewalt. But for $400, you can get a decent compressor and set of nailers. The Paslodes are nice, but the gas, batteries, cleaning, etc. IMO not worth the trouble. Remember, you are discharging an internal combustion engine each time you fire it, so you must keep it clean! The Dewalt uses an incorporated compressor, which allows for contact nailing that the Senco didn't. Of course my Senco died the day after I bought 4 cases of nails that won't fit the Dewalt....go figure.