Need help with doors!

Old 11-06-06, 07:35 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with doors!

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find doors that you would think are readily available...

We're finishing part of the basement in a contemporary style and therefore want to use simple flush doors. Three would be best suited as insulated doors with a decent R value, the fourth for the bathroom, would be helpful with some sound insulation.

I thought that a foam filled flush door would be simple. It's not. Jeld-Wen makes a Pro-Core doore which is nothing more than a particle board door with a sound rating. Masonite only makes the doors with raised panels. We're going to paint them so exterior materials are irrelevant to us.

Does anyone know where to get insulated interior flush doors without spending a fortune?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-06, 01:00 PM
S
Someone must know a source...

Old 12-04-06, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I don't know if an insulated interior doors exists, other than custom made. Metal exterior doors have foam insulation and the ext wood drs are solid. Even the old slick masonite ext doors had a solid particle board inside.

It would be rather expensive to use metal doors and I'm not sure if you can get them in widths less than 32" Is there a reason a regular luan hollow core door won't work?

Old 12-04-06, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
I've never heard of anyone needing an insulated door for the INSIDE of their home. You should probably just get a solid core door (R 1.3 per inch) which is what people normally use when they want a door with a solid feel... it will also deaden sound better than a hollow core door.

Old 12-04-06, 04:35 PM
T
Solid wood or solid-core interior doors also offer sound control properties and good looks.