How to attach the table top to the apron?

Old 12-10-06, 06:16 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to attach the table top to the apron?

Hi,

I am making my first router table, the top is ready and now I am building the stand and I wonder how to attach the top to the apron of the stand. I am building a stand similar to the one below.

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/complete-router-table-cabinet/exploded/

Thanks,
Tong

Old 12-11-06, 12:14 AM
One way is to use pocket screws. You'll need a pocket screw tool. You can get a simple one at Lowes or Home Depot. With this tool you could drill pocket screw holes on the inside of the apron, pointed up at the top. Then screw the top down using the pocket screws.

Old 12-11-06, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I know they show using screws from the bottom, but if you are using MDF for a surface, and it is not a decorative surface, I would countersink holes in the corners, install corner blocks and screw from the top, installing buttons in the holes if you want a finished look. This top will be taking alot of punishment, and deserves to be fastened firmly.

Old 12-11-06, 05:48 AM
K
Originally Posted by chandler
I know they show using screws from the bottom, but if you are using MDF for a surface, and it is not a decorative surface, I would countersink holes in the corners, install corner blocks and screw from the top, installing buttons in the holes if you want a finished look. This top will be taking alot of punishment, and deserves to be fastened firmly.
Thanks for both replies.

Yes, my top is made of MDF. So you mean to use flat-head screws to drill down from the top into the apron/stand?

Old 12-11-06, 06:06 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts

Counter sink slightly to make sure the screw heads are below the table surface. Looks like a nice design. Good luck.

Old 12-11-06, 07:20 PM
J
Enough HP for router table

On that note, i'm also considering making my own router table. I'm hoping to be able to use some panel raising bits. My current router is 1 3/4 HP porter cable. Is that going to be enough HP to run those bits?

Old 12-12-06, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A 2HP 1/2" collet would make for a happy day, but if you take it slowly so as not to burn the wood, you should be OK. If it has the ability, adjust your speed to accommodate your wood stock type.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: