Building DVD rack

Old 12-26-06, 09:17 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building DVD rack

Hi, I am looking to build a DVD rack for the living room and am looking for some information.

I would like to have something like this where you press on the DVD and it slides out, except I want the DVD's to be vertical instead of horizontal:

http://spinkeeper.com/onetodvdto6.html

How do they do that?

The area that I want the rack to fit in is 13" width by 47.5" height by 9.5" depth. I can go an inch or so over on the depth, but would prefer not to. I would like the rack to be a spinner but I don't think it's possible given the dimensions.

The hardwood is a dark oak colour, the TV and stand are silver, and the walls are off-white. I was thinking of making the rack a silver or black colour. Any recommendations on what wood to use?

Any help or recommendations would be apreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-06, 04:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Just finished a remodel and the customer was getting rid of alot of stuff, and gave me a Sony 300 disk changer where all the disks are inserted vertically. PS2 plug for a keyboard to program the songs on a readout screen. This is what you need.

Old 12-26-06, 09:26 PM
You need to get the hardware to build the push in - push out cd/dvd rack. Something like this....

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30

Build a case out the wood you like to mount them to. Since you're going to paint it, I would consider using MDF.

Old 12-27-06, 04:53 PM
M
Thanks for the replies.

That DVD changer sounds nice, but then my current DVD player would be useless. Plus, what would I do with all my DVD cases?

I like the push in/out rack in the rockler.com page, but I would prefer a mechanism similar to the one in the link I gave. Is there anywhere I can find those racks seperately and build them into a tower myself? I contacted hipce, the company that makes the rack, but I have not received a response yet.