I'm Going Nuts!!!! How To Do a Bathtub "Surround"????

Old 01-05-07, 02:34 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question I'm Going Nuts!!!! How To Do a Bathtub "Surround"????

I don't know what to call it, but I saw this picture of a tub "surround" in a design source book and I am smitten. Problem is the book was all about the tiles and fabrics and said nothing of the tub "surround". What I'm talking about here is: in the picture there was a panel attached to the SIDE of the tub itself that extended from wall to wall. On top of the tub rim is another panel that runs along entire rim from wall to wall to wall. Basically, it looks like a vanity completely enclosing the tub as if the tub was an under mounted sink. In the picture it appeared to be actually wood, with the panel on side maybe oak and the rim piece birds-eye maple (but it might have been some type of laminate). This is perfect for the home I just bought as the tub is old and boring, but not in poor enough shape to go through the hassle of replacing it. I searched the web high in low for tips on this “surround”, but found absolutely nothing. Does anyone have any ideas of how I might construct such a piece? What type of materials? How to attach it to the tub itself in a waterproof fashion? I am pretty skilled in woodworking and fair at other DIY skills. Thanks. .

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 04:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Could you scan the picture in the book and upload it to photobucket.com or another photo server and give us the url so we can see what you are looking at? It may help in determining if it is doable or not.

Old 01-09-07, 06:52 AM
Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_bathrooms/article/0,2037,DIY_13903_3349339,00.html

Old 01-09-07, 08:27 PM
G
Sort of....I don't have space like that though....the tub is boxed in completely by the walls of the room...I don't have the room to build a frame at all...the covering would have to be attached to the tub on the one exposed side and directly to rim of the tub....it would give the impression of what is going on here....a dropped in tub...I think i'm going to make a wood panel and epoxy it to the wall of the tub....any suggestions on making wood completely, permanently waterproof?