concealed cabinet hinge

Old 01-06-07, 03:27 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
concealed cabinet hinge

G'day,

I was wondering if it is possible to simply reverse a concealed cabinet hinge so the bore is into the cupboard frame and the mounting plate into the door. The typical installation is to bore into the door however my doors are only 12mm MDF yet the cupboard frames are 19mm pine.

The hinge I think is similar to a Blum 120 Degree Clip Top Hinge, Straight-Arm Style?

http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_ViewProducts.asp?Cat=552

Any other suggestions for a concealed hinge for the 12mm door into 19mm pine?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-07, 04:40 PM
T
Do your cabinet doors have arches or are they square. If you are trying change the direction of how the cabinet door swings open, if it is a square door, simply turn the door around and attach door to face frame. You can't do that with a door that is arched because arches go on top. You can use a router to change the hinge to the other side of the door, but every time you open the door you will see the places where the hinges used to be. If this is a new kitchen and the designer failed to order the door hinged on the correct side, then request a replacement door. Or, if cabinets are not that old, you may be able to order a replacement door that is hinged on the correct side.

Old 01-06-07, 05:15 PM
H
concealed cabinet hinges

The cupboard doors do not have archs and have not previously been hung.

It is a new cupboard that I am making and I have already made the doors from 12 mm MDF which was my first mistake and this is why I am having difficulties with the hinges. I have recycled pine timber from a bookcase I made to make the cupboard frame and this is 19mm. (sorry don't know the coversion to inches)

Four doors need to be hinged to the frame as it will be two adjoining two door cupboards on one frame.

Old 01-06-07, 05:42 PM
T
Is the MDF thick enough to rout out for a cup hinge? 12 millimeters = 0.472440945 inches thick. Of course, different manufacturers have different dimensions on their cup hinges. I just measured one and it is 7/16 inches = 11.1125 millimeters. Of course, it sets in a 3/4 inch = 19.05 millimeters solid wood cabinet door.

My preference is knife blade hinges over cup hinges. I just measured the depth of the routing on a cabinet door with knife blade, and it routed to the depth of 7/16 inches too.

Have you thought about going with a traditional hinge which is exposed? It may be your only option.