Adding Molding to Kitchen Cabinet Doors?

Old 01-07-07, 07:02 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Molding to Kitchen Cabinet Doors?

I am looking for the most inexpensive way to change the look of our kitchen cabinets. We are considering painting them, but there is a "pattern" cut into the outer edge on all sides of each cabinet door. This was popular in the 80s and it really dates the cabinets.

Would it be feasible to add a little trim molding to the front of each door to cover that "pattern" before we paint? How do you think it will look?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 07:08 AM
T
Many cabinet manufacturers today still have an edge profile on cabinet doors. The profile does not necessarily date the cabinets. Adding molding to edge of doors to disguise the profile, might be a little challenging. This is on the very edge of the doors?

They add molding to flat paneled cabinets all the time on HGTV. They cut the molding like a picture frame with 45 degree angles and attach to doors.

You will need to make a molding selection that you like. You might want to stop by a few kitchen show rooms to see what moldings and profiles are available on today's cabinet doors. This might inspire you and give you a sense of direction when making your molding selection. Also observe the different stain and paint finishes while there. A painted finish can also be an easy kitchen update.

Old 01-07-07, 07:14 AM
T
The design to which you refer, is it routed into the front of the cabinet door panel? If it is one with straight lines, it could be covered with molding. I have seen some routed with designs that were not straight--arches and curves.

Old 01-07-07, 08:09 AM
D
Routed! That is the word I was looking for! Thanks. Yes, the routing is on the outer edge of each cabinet door. It does curve in at each corner. I think it might take two "layers" of molding to completely cover the routing.

Old 01-07-07, 10:06 AM
T
When you say 'outer edge,' you mean toward the edge but on the front of the door? If routing is wide, purchase wider molding. You can also go with a larger molding on outside and smaller on inside for added interest. When you go see some of the newer door styles, you will see how you can replicate something similar with moldings.

Old 01-07-07, 10:48 AM
D
Yes, I meant the routing is on the outer edge on the front of the cabinet door. Sorry for the confusion. I do believe using 2 moldings would look good. We will look at some cabinets in the home improvement stores to get some ideas. Thanks!