Threading wood dowels

Old 01-08-07, 02:27 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Threading wood dowels

I recently saw a post about threading wooden dowel. I recently picked up a wood threader at a garage sale.

I got it because it was real cheap.

But what could I do with it? What kinds of toys can you make with it for kids?

Does it have a use?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-07, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You just couldn't pass it up, could you? Kids love anything they can take apart and put back together, so, now you have to go buy a matching tap to make the nuts with. Make anything with a threaded dowel, and place the nuts on them. They will stay mesmerized for hours, just don't make them too long, or they will break them off. Make a board, attach several threaded dowels on it. Make several nuts of different outside designs and let them mix and match them, or draw the design on the board to match the nut so they will learn shapes and sizes.

Old 01-11-07, 08:45 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If a threaded dowel is on a platform (board), when screwing a nut onto it, the final orientation of the nut will always be different, right?

In other words, you cant use the setup you described to make a puzzle, could you. Of course the pieces would all have to be squares, but you couldnt even assure that they would line up with mating surfaces, could you?

Old 01-11-07, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The position of the nut will be the same each time if the same thread it caught at the beginning. I was just suggesting a picture of the shape so the child could associate it with the shape of the nuts in his/her hand. No, it won't make a puzzle, just an interesting jig to whet their interest.