Hanging a mirror

Old 01-15-07, 07:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging a mirror

I recently refinished our bathroom at the request of my wife. The old bathroom had a single, large mirror in front of a double sink countertop. The dimensions of the mirror are roughly 4 feet tall by 6 feet long. We replaced the mirror with two smaller mirrors in front of some new vessel sinks. I now have a very large mirror that I didnt know what to do with. After some negotiating and begging my wife has allowed me to place the mirror above our bed. I figure I will build a frame around the mirror consisting of 1 inch thick by 4 inches wide wood. I will notch out 2 inches deep by 1/4 inch tall all the way around. After installing three sides of teh frame I will slide the mirror in on the side and then place the last wood frame side in place. My question is what should I use to affix the wooden frame sides to the ceiling? I dont think my finishing nailer will have the strength to hold the frame. Should I pre drill holes in the frame and use anchors all around? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-07, 07:18 AM
I would try to position the frame so that you can put as many screws directly into the ceiling joists as posibble, and use anchors - or even toggle bolts for whatever doesn't hit a joist. Predrill holes in the frame for whatever you choose. If you want to dress it up, after you drill the holes, bore a hole deep enough accomodate the screw heads and a wood plug over that. Of coarse the hole will need to be a large enough diameter to fit the screw head into it. Iwouldn't use regular drywall screws, but a panhead or washerhead screw long enough to go into the joist at least 1 1/2" (account for the 1/2" drywall on the ceiling when you choose a screw).

If possible, use mirror mastic, or at least construction adhesive on the back of the mirror to adhere the center of the mirror to the ceiling as well.

That's a large mirror and you want to be absolutely certain that it's going to stay up there - especially since it's over your bed.

Old 01-16-07, 03:49 PM
T
Use adhesive recommended for mirrors. Other adhesives may cause deterioration of mirror backing. If you can not find mirror adhesive at the local home center or hardware, a local mirror and glass shop should have it.