Cheap Bench Jointer/Planer

Old 01-16-07, 06:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cheap Bench Jointer/Planer

I have been looking online for jointers for a few weeks. I want to keep the price under $300. I have never bought one before and i was wondering if anyone had any buying tips for me. Or if anyone has a recommendations. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-07, 04:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Your title indicates both jointer and planer, but since they are apples and pears, I will address the jointer only. Buying such an item online will be more expensive than you will imagine, basically due to the weight of the item. Mine weighs in at about 200 lbs, so shipping would be prohibitive. They do make table top versions and you may want to check sites like Grizzly or even google "planers". The table top versions would depend on how much you join. I do alot, so the cast iron base and long infeed and outfeed tables are a plus. I found mine at a yard sale and bargained it and an oscillating drum sander with stand for $125. Just lucky. Sometimes estate sales will have good bargains on larger items.

Old 01-17-07, 07:03 PM
M
Thanks. Sorry about the confusion, i am actually looking for a table top jointer.... i had been thinking of a planer but i know someone who has one that i can borrow. Thanks for the info.. now if only can find a garage sale..

Last edited by mooseboy52; 01-17-07 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-18-07, 07:01 AM
J
They've got a pretty decent looking jointer on sale at Home Depot that I've been looking at for a while. The brand is Rigid, the "Home Depot" brand. I've never used any Rigid products, so I can't comment on their quality. Perhaps some else can? Regardless, it's cast iron, with a base, it looks sturdy and I believe it's under $300.

Jeremy

Old 01-18-07, 12:28 PM
M
Nice looking out!
Thanks alot, ill have to take a ride this weekend!!

Old 01-18-07, 12:40 PM
J
Looking on line, it's the Delta I was thinking of. It's $220. The Rigid is $400.

Jeremy

Old 01-18-07, 12:46 PM
M
I just noticed that. Too bad, That ridgid has a lifetime warranty on parts and services, and it is one mighty nice looking tool!

Old 01-19-07, 05:24 PM
C
I have the Ridgid jointer, I think it was 350 or so. It is not a bench top model though. Anyway, it has treated me very well for the past year +. I would recommend it.