Joining Alabastrite to a wood box

Old 01-20-07, 10:53 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joining Alabastrite to a wood box

I am making a wood computer case and found an Alabastrite dragon that I think would be sturdy enough to be a handle for lifting it if I can decide on how to attach it to the case. Here's what wiki says about it:

Alabastrite is the product name for a cement-based polyresin material of medium to heavy weight. It is easily moulded, can be painted, and is mainly used for mass-produced, mass-marketed, collectibles. Alabastrite can break down in water.
Now I'm trying to decide if I should use some kind of screw or fastener, or if there's some glue that would be strong enough to handle the weight of the case in lifting? I have no idea of the properties of Albastrite so I don't know how/what kind of fasteners to use if I go that route. I'm a DIY noob so talk pretty to me

Thanks,
Bill

Old 01-20-07, 05:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The one property that you need to worry about is that it is water soluble, so if it gets wet, or if your hands are sweaty, it will break down.

Old 01-21-07, 07:37 AM
T
Originally Posted by chandler
The one property that you need to worry about is that it is water soluble, so if it gets wet, or if your hands are sweaty, it will break down.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it getting wet. I don't THINK it breaks down in moisture bad enough to have to wear gloves when handling it. And it's going to be attached to a computer case, so if it's getting any wetter than that I have a bigger problem! =)

Last edited by thejavabuddha; 01-21-07 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 02:03 PM
T
No ideas? I'm assuming that the material would have similar properties to concrete, so what would you use for that?

Old 01-23-07, 04:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
My ideas won't make you happy. I wouldn't use the material as a handle, period. The material won't take shock, water, torque. I would use it for a nick nack on a shelf, but not as an operable part of a case in which I have invested alot of money, time, memory, etc. If it breaks and falls, it wasn't much of a handle, was it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: