Rotten patio door facing

Old 01-27-07, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rotten patio door facing

Our patio door faces the south, and the exterior portion of the door facing next to the threshold is rotting out. How is this repaired/replaced? I have seen this done on "This Old House" but don't know where to secure the info. Any advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-07, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 282 Votes on 258 Posts
If you've seen this done on "This Old House" you could check their website.

>>the exterior portion of the door facing next to the threshold is rotting out

I'm just guessing that this is a sliding patio door, and you are referring to the bottom stile of the fixed door sash? A lot of times, snow and/or dirt will cause that fixed door sash to rot more quickly than the operating one (which sits up off the threshold due to it riding on the rail/rollers.)

There are so many different types of patio doors out there, I don't even know how to begin. I'm guessing this is a wood interior, wood exterior door, then the bottom stile is not just a "facing", it is the entire bottom of that sash. It's difficult to duplicate such a piece in the shop because of it's complexity:

-It likely has a dado that the glass sits in.
-The joinery at the corners is probably a "through slip tenon" that is either nailed or screwed together.
-It probably has a dado on the bottom to fit over the threshold rails, and within that dado are probably mortises for the roller assemblies (if operating).
-It also may have some type of kerf weatherstripping

So it's pretty hard to fabricate this in the shop. I suppose if you had all the tools you could try it, but you'd probably be better off contacting the door manufacturer and asking them if replacement pieces are available. It's more likely that you are looking at replacing the entire sash. Either that or if you just want to get by for a few more years, buy yourself some Bondo and do some sculpting. The thing that often happens is that the stile becomes so rotton that the glass eventually starts to settle down into the rotton wood- sometimes to the point of becoming an open gap above the glass on top!